We got the chance to chat to Frank, the face behind the @bigandbeardiful Instagram account to find out a bit more about him, his life in New York and his own personal style! If you’re in need of some men’s fashion inspiration Frank’s account is the one to watch. Check out Frank’s Instagram here. Keep reading for the full interview below.
Firstly, we love your page! Is social media your full-time job or something you do in your free time?
Social Media sometimes feels like a full-time job, but it’s something I do in my free time. My profile started off as a fun way to share my beard grooming tips and advice to anyone who would listen and, since then, it has developed into a lifestyle page where I share my experiences and promote brands/products that I really enjoy and think others will too!
We can see that you are based in NYC! What is your favourite thing about living there?
I am a firm believer that NYC is the best place in the world. I am a Brooklyn native and I wouldn’t change it for anything. I love the hustle and bustle. I love that it’s a melting pot of culture and different experiences that happen every day in my own backyard. And, currently, my favorite thing about living here is NYC in Winter—fewer things are more beautiful!
We would love to go. What would be your top 3 things to do in New York?
- Don’t spend all of your time in Manhattan! I may be biased, but go Brooklyn (and I guess some of the other boroughs are cool too)!
- Visit Time Square at night. Take your pictures and, once you’re done, just stop, look around and take it all in.
- Pizza! Find the best New York slices and eat all of them!
Love your style! Who would you say are your style icons?
In truth, I don’t really have many style icons. As a Big & Tall guy, it’s difficult to mimic the styles that you see and love on average size guys (for lack of a better phrase). So my style often times reflects the pieces that fit and that I feel comfortable in, but I also pull inspiration from fellow big and tall guys like Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson who, in my opinion, is one of the sharpest dressed people in Hollywood. Fortunately, we live in a time where fashion has finally begun to recognize the Big & Tall and Plus Size populations, which have made shopping and styling that much more enjoy. So, DJ, I’m coming for you!
What was the last outfit you bought?
The last complete outfit I bought was from BadRhino. I’ve never been confident in blue jeans. I’ve always opted for black because they made me appear more slender and elongated my legs, drawing away from parts of my body that I’m not always comfortable about. So, I took a chance with a pair of blue jeans from Lyle & Scott and paired that up with a basic white BadRhino tee, a black hoodie from Alpha Industries & a dope black parka from Jack & Jones. This look is perfect for me and perfect for NYC—casual, yet clean and put together. It makes me feel like I’m ready to take on anything.
Have you got any tips for men that aren’t as confident as you?
First off, I’m not always as confident as I may appear. I think the first tip is accepting yourself and your flaws. I’m still working on that, but acknowledging that I have them, has helped tremendously with my confidence. Also, buy clothes that fit you—even if that means going up a size. Sizing numbers have always thrown me for a loop. I’ve felt disappointed a number of times about not fitting into clothes and the ridiculous inconsistency in sizing from company to company. Be patient. Try things on. Learn what works and what doesn’t. Take risks. And never stop bettering yourself—physically, mentally and emotionally.
- Shoes or trainers? Trainers! I’m a huge sneakerhead, so I jump at any opportunity to wear trainers—especially since I have to wear a suit for work every day!
- Best TV show to binge? I just finished “Queen’s Gambit,” which was amazing. But, my mindless , go-to bingeworthy tv show, hands down, is “The Office.”
- 3 wardrobe staples? Black jeans, white tee, watch!
- The beach or the city? While I am a city boy, the beach wins this for me. Any opportunity to get out of the city to relax and recharge—especially on a beach with a drink in hand!
- Smart or casual? If you asked me this a year ago, I would’ve said casual. But, I’ve been taking great pride in improving my smart look—dressing up and complimenting my full suit looks with cool accessories.
Head over to our socials @BadRhinoUK on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date on the latest men’s clothing and collections.